Thursday 16 November 2017

Friday Fan Interview 17th Novemeber 2017 Darron Stump



This week its the turn of Darron Stump so Darron over to you...................

AH: Tell us a little about yourself?

DS: I'm 44, married with two beautiful girls, 16 & 19, both Spurs fans. I grew up in Walthamstow which was a massive Spurs catchment area during the 80's now live in Hornchurch, Essex. I have been going to WHL regularly since 1988 and had a season ticket since 93. Last year I managed to win 'Games Room of the Year' with a Tottenham themed games room thanks to the many thousands of Spurs fans out there who voted for me.

AH: When did you start supporting Spurs?

DS: Both my granddads on both sides of the family, my uncles, cousins and dad were all Spurs fans so from a very early age Spurs had a massive impact on me, my first game I attended at WHL was against Coleraine in the ECWC in 1982, we won 4-0, first away game coming in 1985 at Highbury, Pat Jennings Farewell game, Spurs won 3-2.

AH: Who is your favourite player from every decade you’ve supported Spurs?

DS: 1980's - got to be Hoddle, an absolute genius, he's vision was out of this world, to place a ball on someone foot from 40 plus yards and to turn on a sixpence, exceptional. Gascoigne coming in at the end of the 80's, was also something special, one of the last proper characters of the game, an entertainer on and off the field.


1990's - David Ginola, as he describes 'WHL was he's garden' A pleasure to watch when in full flow.


2000's - Lesley King, one of the greatest defenders I have ever seen at Spurs, that tackle against Robben, I would say was better than Moore against Pele. Wore the shirt with pride and passion.


2010+ -  Gareth Bale, utter class, every goal he scored for us was a 'worldy' exceptional pace and could make a ball do things in the air that you would not think possible. More recently the rapid rise of Harry Kane becoming one the most prolific strikers in Europe and the potential of surpassing another Spurs legend – Jimmy Greaves as the clubs highest all time goal scorer.

AH: If you could ask one of those players a question what would it be and why?

DS: Hoddle - Bill Nicholson was Mr Tottenham Hotspur and one the most respected icons ever to be associated with our club, what was it like to be in the presence of such an absolute legend and did he have any influence on yourself for you to also become such an iconic figure in the history of our club?

AH: What is your favourite ever Spurs goal?

DS: Got to be Gascoigne against Woolwich -91 FA Cup Semi Final, to be there to witness it was a special memory that will never leave me, they were going for the double, we were going for the piss up and day out, 2-0 up after 5 minutes, finally winning 3-1, better than the final, this is what dreams are made of.

AH: What is your most cherished piece of Spurs merchandise?

DS: I have a hand made Tottenham rosette my granddad had made which he wore to the 1963 ECWC final in Rotterdam where we beat Athletico Madrid 5-1. . Also a framed signed picture of Mr Tottenham Hotspur – Bill Nic that hangs proudly in my games room.

AH: What is the worst piece of Spurs merchandise you’ve ever bought or been given?

DS: I got given a toilet seat in Tottenham High Rd  after the last ever game at WHL from a mate who had nicked it as a piece of memorabilia he thought I might like, I can tell you now I politely declined the offer to his disappointment.

AH: What has been your best moment supporting Spurs?

DS: Obviously the 91 FA Cup Semi Final against Woolwich stands out followed by the 3-1 win against Inter Milan at WHL in the CL, completely out played them in an electric atmosphere, if only you could bottle it as a keep sake. Also having the opportunity to take both my daughters to WHL especially my 19 year old daughter who is wheelchair bound and unfortunately doesn’t understand the world as we do, I took her to the Man City game last season which we won 2-0, a truly emotional moment, a moment that defines the ‘life memories’.

AH: What has been your worst moment supporting Spurs?

DS: Not attending the 84 UEFA Cup Final, it is one game I wish I was at, each time I watch it gives you goose bumps. Saying goodbye to WHL for the very last time was very sad, this was my second home, my place of worship, a few tears were shed that day.

AH: If you could go back in time and change one result what would it be?

DS: Even though it was before I was born, the game I would change would be the 1962 European cup semi final against Benfica which we were unfortunate not to win and as the great man himself Billy Nic once said in an interview, 'we would of gone on to beat Real Madrid in the final'

Thanks very much to Darron for taking part next week its the turn of  Ihab Kamel

No comments:

Post a Comment