Thursday 19 October 2017

Friday Fan Interview Richard Cracknell

Our first ever Fan Friday Interview is with Richard Cracknell, a man of many talents Richard is a reporter for Talksport, Co-host with Antony Costa (Yes that Antony Costa) on the pod cast @ohwhenthespurs on Twitter and a host of Tottenham legend nights. Richard can be found on Twitter @MrCracknell. Ill let Richard explain the rest......







AH:   Tell us a little about yourself?


RC: I'm Richard Cracknell, very much the wrong side of 40 but I like to think of it as the better side of 50! 
Married with 4 kids. 2 elder girls and two younger boys. My eldest boy is called Bill Nicholson Cracknell !
By day I drive tube trains in London, by night I ask retired footballers questions on stage around the UK. 

AH:   When did you start supporting Spurs?


RC: 1976 my Dad took me to Spurs v Birmingham. We lost and the game was rubbish. But I fell in love with the lane. The noise, the smells, the sheer vastness of it all. I was totally hooked. The actual team I fell in love with was the 1981 F.A cup final and I'm very blessed to have worked with many of them.   

AH:  Who's idea was it to do the podcast and how did it come about?

RC: Ant (Costa from Blue) and I started following each other on Twitter, discovered we lived near each other, and we met for a beer to watch a game. One beer turned into several (for me it did Ant had a couple and sensibly went onto soft drinks) and we foolishly decided a podcast would be a great idea!!
A friend suggested SNK studios to us for recording, as Kay Van runs the place and was also a Spurs fan. We really don't record regular enough tbh, but we're all very proud of the episodes we have done.

AH:  How much fun are the legends nights to host? Ive been to one recently and the players really seem to enjoy them, is that always the case?


RC: They are terrific fun, and I genuinely never get bored of them. Every time I do one I hear a new story. The players enjoy a trip down memory lane as much as those in the audience do. Touch wood, I've not had one that's ended in disaster or has bombed like an Arsenal trip to Watford. Long may it continue 

AH:     Who is your favouirte player from every decade you’ve supported Spurs?

RC: Ahh man ... tough one, 70s and 80s would have to be Hoddle and Roberts. Glenn was just mesmerising and skillful. Graham was Mr 1000%. People viewed him as just a hard man but he was much much more than that. He was a terrific footballer. 90s would have to be Paul Gascoigne and David Ginola. Two players that got you up off your seat with anticipation. That's the heroin of football we all crave. 
00s had one absolute beacon of light in the shape of Ledley King. An unbelievably talented defender and what a nice humble man he is too. This decade has given us a much richer crop than the previous one. You cannot look beyond a kid that comes through the ranks to become world class. Step forward Harry Kane. 

AH:  If you could ask one of those players a question what would it be and why?

RC: It would have to be Harry Kane and would you please come and do a legends night !!!

AH:  What is your favourite ever Spurs goal?


RC: Ricky Villa's goal in the 81 cup final replay. Not just the goal but the whole story surrounding it. Being subbed off in the first game and then a real school boys own comeback in the replay. 

AH: What is your most cherished piece of Spurs merchandise?

RC: Despite all what I do with the legends nights, I have a very little amount physical pieces of memorabilia. My experiences and memories of some of the nights I've hosted are my most cherished items. 

 AH: What is the worst piece of Spurs merchandise you’ve ever bought or been given?

RC: I have some of the Ian Walker era goalkeeper shirts. Say no more lol lol 

AH: What is your best moment supporting Spurs?

RC The night we beat Milan in the Champions league at WHL. I went that night with my Dad and eldest son. Three generations of Spurs all at the lane together and what a night. I honestly thought the roof was coming off with the noise. Man alive, I miss that old girl of a stadium.  

AH:     What is your worst moment supporting Spurs?

RC: Probably watching that mob celebrating winning the league at WHL when they drew the game. 

AH: If you could go back in time and change one result what would it be?


RC: Tottenham versus Madrid UEFA cup q.f back in 85. If we had won that then I'm sure we'd have gone on to win the cup that year. 

Thanks very much to Richard for agreeing to do this for us, anyone else wanting to do one please get in touch at tottenhamhotspurbanter@gmail.com. Next week is our first international fan Dade Wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment